Thursday 26 July 2012

50 Shades... The Reprieve.

Well... as much as I think you shouldn't have to work at a good read, I also think that one should admit when they have been wrong. With some persistence, I have eventually succumb to the charms of The Talented Mr Grey.

I felt that I would be doing myself a bit of an injustice if I did not at least have a look and see if the 'juicy bits' were worthy of all the fuss... and so I read on. On my way to the main event I almost declared myself a feminist, as I found her adorning attitude towards him oppressive in itself. 'It makes the bible look like it has an open minded attitude to women.' - a quote that a certain man took as a recommendation.

Anyways... although the writing is a bit crappy, the vocabulary is lacking, and the sex scenes do make the eyes roll (but not in a good way), I have, in the end, fallen for Christian Grey. Trust me, no one is more shocked and appalled than me! He is a complex and interesting character and despite her innocence she holds her own. There are a few nice moments, for example, there is a moment when she describes someone as having 'Pre-Raphaelite Hair' and I am reminded of The Lady of Shallot. These moments are few. The email exchanges that they share are amusing, I hope that there is more of this to come. Its looking like I am going to have to read the next two. I was also interested to discover that Anastasia means 'resurrection/breaker of chains', which could suggest a biblical subtext, his name being Christian and all... I'm not sure if that is a little bit too tenuous a link. I doubt their names are coincidental.

I get the attraction. Everyone woman want to think they could tame a wild beast... in some ways it reads very much like a fairytale with his perfect teeth, substantial bank balance, his perfect proportions... not to mention his, interesting shall we say, attitude towards sex. Does he have any redeeming features that would make me want to consider taking up his offer? Not really. Would I be tempted to spend a dirty weekend with Christian Grey... abso-fucking-lutely!  

I know that this book has divided people all over the place... but the next person who slates it, I will be asking: 'Have you actually read it?' 

No comments:

Post a Comment