Tuesday 10 July 2012

Sorry Mr Grey, unless your name is Dorian, I'm just not interested.

Today I re-learned something that I've known for a while - Always trust my gut instincts. 
I took an almost instant dislike to a book that my friend was reading. My dislike for this book was based on nothing except an instinctual 'knowing' that I would not like the text. However, despite my better judgement I promised my friend that I would give it a go. As she pointed out, "how can you really know until you've read it?" .... Well it turns out, sometimes you just know. I struggled through the first 20 pages determined that I would break through, suspend my believe, and get some pleasure from my purchase. At page 50 (which I think is a fair enough 'go' at anything)... I walked over to the recycling bin and placed the book inside along with all the other stuff which is of more value to someone else. The writing is crappy, the plot is tenuous, and the characters are completely unenthralling - if not rather annoying. No this book is just not for me.

Don't let me put you off, I encourage you to go and find out for yourself. If you can see what all the fuss is about please, I would be interested to hear your view... but for now, all I have to say is "Sorry Mr Grey, unless your name is Dorian, I'm just not interested"

50 Shades of Grey - E. L James
Not recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment