Saturday 28 April 2012

How to be a Woman...?

Caitlin Moran's 'How to be a Woman' ...

I was recommended this book by a man I know.

"What a great pick up line!" my friend tells me. Which, upon realising this I made the extra effort to make sure actually I read it.

How to be a Woman, is a great easy read. It is funny, insightful. I learned some interesting facts about feminism. Caitlin Moran has had a colourful life and so this book feels as much, if not more, like an autobiography than an instruction manual to womanhood. I felt that I could really identify with the growing pangs that she described; teenage sexualisation, strip clubs, sexism and crappy relationships... There was much of the book that was foreign to me, not in a bad way, in a new and novel way... By the time Ms Moran was my age she was married with 2 children, and had a miscarriage and an abortion under her belt, not to mention had established her career...

At 27, on the cusp of 28, it feels like don't have that much to show for my time here on earth except some amusing stories (and some rather blurry memories). I am still establishing my career, which at best I am 4 years off  reaching (at worst this could be as much as 7 or 9 years, but lets look on the bright side for now)...
I am unmarried.
I have no children.
I have never been pregnant.
I am still a student.
I am (currently and technically) an unskilled, worker.
I am not 'THERE' yet. (where ever ‘THERE’ may be).

All this said; do I feel that I can do a better job of being a woman now that I have read Moran's book? Put Simply: No.

Would I now describe myself as a feminist? No.

Although I do feel better educated in the history of feminism, Moran gives the definition of feminism as answering yes to the following questions
"1) do you have a vagina?" and
"2) do you want to be in charge of what happens to it?"

You see, I don’t think that having a vagina is a necessary condition of being feminist, nor is it sufficient. I personally know more male feminist than I do females ones. Gosh, some of the feMANists I know actually put me off the idea of feminism... They try so hard to show that they strive for equality for woman, there is an air of emasculation that, if I'm honest, makes me feel uncomfortable with the whole concept.

No, I shall continue to consider myself a post-feminist. I am glad that the 70's happened, that we have the vote and that we can aspire to be more than a housewife, mill worker or (at best) a secretary. Thank you to the sisterhood! But it is now 2012, no one will take my vote away, I can do and be whatever I set my equally-sized-although-predominately-right-dominated mind to... Come on sisters! Let’s start getting on with it! What I'm really talking about as a post-feminist is, taking the best bits of the suffragette movement and combining it with a hint of chivalry. I will not burn my bra - quite frankly my boobs look better in one! ... Sorry I digress. Caitlin Moran is not endorsing the burning of the bra. I just am not convinced of her brand of feminism....I still did really enjoy, and definitely would recommend the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment